Wednesday’s latest stories from the world of football in ESPN FC’s What’s Trending …
LIVERPOOL: It will be difficult for Liverpool to break the record they set following the 7-0 thrashing of Maribor in the Champions League, according to manager Jurgen Klopp.
TOTTENHAM: Harry Kane said Tottenham would take a point away to Real Madrid “every day of the week” after Spurs secured a 1-1 Champions League draw at the Bernabeu on Tuesday.
REAL MADRID: Zinedine Zidane said that Tuesday’s 1-1 Champions League draw at home to Tottenham set up a “final” where the Group H winner is likely to be decided at Wembley in two weeks’ time.
MAN CITY: Pep Guardiola described Manchester City’s 2-1 win over Napoli as one of the proudest wins of his managerial career.
– Kevin De Bruyne’s agent to use Neymar pay as bargaining chip in contract talks – read more in Transfer Talk.
LEICESTER: Thomas Tuchel is wanted by Leicester to replace Craig Shakespeare, sources close to the club have told ESPN FC.
– Having just sacked Craig Shakespeare and currently sitting 18th in the table, Leicester City need a manager. Could Roberto Mancini, Sam Allardyce or Carlo Ancelotti take over?
MAN UNITED: Manchester United are keeping tabs on Spain under-21 left-back Aaron Martin, sources have told ESPN FC.
– Jose Mourinho has said he will “one day tell the truth” about his potential move to Barcelona that fell through in 2008.
– Louis van Gaal says he still views Jose Mourinho as a “very sympathetic guy,” despite his reservations over the manner in which his former assistant replaced him at United.
– United have opened contract talks with defender Phil Jones, sources close to the player have told ESPN FC.
ARSENAL: Former Arsenal goalkeeper Wojciech Szczesny believes he failed to develop at the Emirates because of less sophisticated coaching in the Premier League.
CHELSEA: Daniele De Rossi has spoken of his admiration for Chelsea manager Antonio Conte ahead of Roma’s meeting with the Premier League champions on Wednesday.
BARCELONA: Barcelona’s place in La Liga should not be affected by any moves toward Catalan independence, according to Jaume Roures of Mediapro, current international rights holders for the Spanish league.
– Barcelona are getting better and better because of the new approaches brought to the club by coach Ernesto Valverde, goalkeeper Marc-Andre ter Stegen says.
BORUSSIA DORTMUND: Former Bayern Munich midfielder Niko Kovac paved the way for U.S. international Christian Pulisic’s transfer to Borussia Dortmund in 2014.
– Borussia Dortmund’s sporting director has urged the team to be “more courageous” as they head to Apoel Nicosia seeking their first points in Champions League Group H.
– Jadon Sancho has returned to Borussia Dortmund as England under-17s prepare for their round-of-16 match against Japan at the Under-17 World Cup in India.
– Twelve-year-old striker Youssoufa Moukoko continued his remarkable form as he scored a brace to help Borussia Dortmund’s under-17 side produce a stunning late comeback to draw 4-4 against arch-rivals Schalke.
WORLD CUP QUALIFYING: Italy have been drawn against Sweden in the European playoffs for the 2018 World Cup, while Republic of Ireland will meet Denmark.
FIFA: Wales will face France in a friendly in Paris next month, the Football Association of Wales announced on Tuesday.
MLS: The investor/operator of the Columbus Crew SC is considering relocating the team to Austin, Texas, unless the city of Columbus can come up with a plan for a new downtown stadium, sources confirmed to ESPN FC.
– Kaka bid a tearful farewell to Orlando City on Sunday, saying he “will always be a Lion forever” after his final game following three years with the MLS club.
UNITED STATES: The U.S. men’s national team will play a friendly in Portugal on Nov. 14, both countries’ federations announced on Monday.
– United States under-17 coach John Hackworth told his players that it was up to them “to give hope to our country” after the senior U.S. team failed to qualify for the World Cup.
Follow @ESPNFC on Twitter to keep up with the latest football updates.