James Van Der Beek has revealed he was sexually harassed by “older, powerful men” as a young actor. The What Would Diplo Do? star opened up about the harassment after expressing support for the many women who have come forward in recent days with allegations of rape and harassment against Harvey Weinstein.
“What Weinstein is being accused of is criminal,” Van Der Beek tweeted Wednesday night. “What he’s admitted to is unacceptable—in any industry. I applaud everybody speaking out.” Van Der Beek then revealed that he’s had his “ass grabbed” and been cornered into “inappropriate” sexual conversations in the past. “There’s a power dynamic that feels impossible to overcome,” he said.
Earlier this week, Terry Crews revealed his own experience with harassment in light of the Weinstein allegations. According to Crews, an unnamed “high level Hollywood executive” approached him at an event in Hollywood last year and “groped my privates.”
Wednesday, Cara Delevingne shared her own disturbing Weinstein account with her 40.6 million Instagram followers. “When I first started to work as an actress, I was working on a film and I received a call from Harvey Weinstein asking if I had slept with any of the women I was seen out with in the media,” Delevingne said. “It was a very odd and uncomfortable call. I answered none of his questions and hurried off the phone but before I hung up, he said to me that If I was gay or decided to be with a woman especially in public that I’d never get the role of a straight woman or make it as an actress in Hollywood.”
Delevingne also alleged that, during a later meeting with Weinstein at a hotel, he tried to get her to kiss another woman “and [the other woman] began some sort of advances upon his direction.” When Delevingne tried to leave, Weinstein allegedly tried to kiss her.