Stokes sparked speculation that he might be re-joining the England squad earlier this week after being spotted at Heathrow with his cricket kit.
However, he was later confirmed to be visiting his native New Zealand to see family and play some domestic cricket.
And now Stokes has been seen training with Canterbury and could make his debut against Otago tomorrow.
“I hope I can get out there, do well, and contribute to Canterbury winning,” said Stokes.
“It was nice to know a few faces – a few of the young guys came over to Durham as part of an exchange programme.
“It was nice, because it can be hard coming to a new team.”
Stokes remains banned indefinitely pending the outcome of an investigation into his arrest on a night out in Bristol in September.
He was arrested on suspicion of causing actual bodily harm after an incident on 25 September in which a man suffered a fractured eye socket.
The 26-year-old was subsequently released under investigation by Avon and Somerset Police and on November 29, the case was passed to the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) for “charging advice”.
However, the latest stage of the process is unlikely to take less than a couple of weeks, meaning Stokes’ chances of playing in the Ashes are close to zero.
But former England fast bowler Darren Gough believes Stokes should target the ODI series against Australia, which starts on January 14.
“I don’t think we’ll see Stokes in the whole series, I honestly don’t,” said Gough.
“I think it’s a weird one, him going to New Zealand. It’s a very strange one.
“I wish him the best, he’s a fantastic cricketer but I can’t see the ongoing case being dealt with in the next week.
“I said from the start that the best thing to do would have been to write him off for the Ashes and get him out there for the one-dayers.”